Saturday, May 10, 2008

Standing Ovation

My Adelaide cracks me up. She is super fun and has some adorable mannerisms. Lately she is trying to talk a lot more and I think she's mastered a new word every day this week. Its pretty exciting, and so dang cute! One funny thing about Adelaide is that whenever she bonks her head (anywhere on her head) or runs in to something (with any body part) she takes her left hand and rubs the left side/back of her head. Gorden ran in to her right arm the other day and she stopped and rubbed her head with her left hand. She's silly.

So tonight, I'm trying to get the kids to pick up their toys and clothes in the living room and take it all to their room. Adelaide sometimes helps but this time she just stood in the middle of the room and watched. Well there was an empty tall clothes hamper in the living room tonight so I started filling it with everything that needed to go to the kids room and asking them to help me. Gorden quickly got excited about it and started really helping fill the hamper. He was doing so well that I just let him keep going alone and as he tossed things on top, I would shove them down in so we could get more to fit. While doing this I am dramatically and ridiculously speaking in different accents and pointing out to him directionally where another item for the basket is. Its all kind of hurried and urgent feeling. (Speaking excitedly like that encourages their enthusiasm to get it done sooner!) Anyway, so Adelaide is just staring at me while I am making quite a fool of myself (nothing new), and as Gorden gets the last shoe from under the couch and tosses it in the basket, I put the lid on it and say, "You did it!!" Then I look over at Adelaide. She's still just standing and staring, and then her face breaks into this HUGE grin and she's still looking at me and just starts clapping!! It was awesome.

5 comments:

Liz Wilcken said...

Aren't kids fun? Except it's the other way around in our family. Rose is the enthusiast cleaner.

Elizabeth said...

that is such a cute story. your kids are adorable!

Katy said...

Looks like Adelaide knows what's up!! She just waits and watches as the work gets done without her, whatta smarty! I love that you use silly accents on the kids (I find myself doing accents more and more... usually snobby British ones when Ava's turns her nose up to something I'm trying to feed her. I think it's hilarious, she does not)
Your kids are so fun!

Aleasha said...

Thats awesome! love love it! and adelaidey is a great nick name. and i dont really think i am (well what we were talking about) i have a very long way to go. but thanks! love ya. happy mothers day!

Andrea said...

Hey Kelly! How are you doing? Its been so long since i've blogged. we changed internet providers so it was down about a week. About my blog, I just downloaded of a website and it came that way. I didn't do anything. Remember I'm computer illiterate. The website is on my blog, she has lots of cute templates. hope you're having fun. Your kids are dang cute. I hope they are feeling better. love ya, Andrea