Gorden & Adelaide have been sick for over two weeks. They've both had Crupe so there's been lots of coughing, along with Gorden having had a couple of asthma attacks. (I'd be fine if that never happened again. That was a scary thing!) Adelaide also had Hand, Foot, & Mouth and Gorden has a virus related to Hand, Foot, & Mouth. So he's got sores on the back of his throat and it hurts him. Well a few days ago he started telling me that his ears hurt. So we went back to the doctor for the third time in a week and it turns out that his ears are fine, but its common to feel pain in your ear when your throat hurts. So the doctor suggested cold, bland, soft foods for a while. Well that night I gave him some ice cream. Then the next day, every 20 minutes or so, all day long, he tells me, "My ear hurts, Mama." Usually he cries about it like 20 times a day too. Whenever I acknowledge him and his pain, he then goes on about his business, whether its lathargicly laying on the couch bundled up in blankets shivering and watching a movie (Crupe comes with a fever), or actually playing with his toys and Adelaide.
Occasionally though, just acknowledging him isn't enough and so once yesterday I asked him if he would like some ice cream. I told him the doctor said that since its cold it would feel good on his throat. So he had some ice cream. Then last night late, he woke up and said that his ears hurt and he wanted some ice cream. Today he told me that his arm hurt and he needed some ice cream. Then later it was his hand. It hurt so he asked if I could put some ice cream on it.
I'm sure he thinks the doctor is the greatest man right now.
4 comments:
Your doctor is a genius! I'm going to try that method for myself! :)
I totally agree! Ice cream will fix ANYTHING!
I use ice cream for when my kids get fat lips. They seem to get them often. It calms them down and helps with the swelling. It all reminds me of Benjamin's dr. kit. There's a button on the stethoscope that when pushed has cookie monster's voice and says, "Eat two cookies, and call me in the morning."
Haha! That is so funny!
Post a Comment