Friday, November 5, 2010

Honor Roll

On Friday Gorden brings home his school folder with all his work from the week in it. We usually go through it together and he tells me about the things he did and we go over any work that he didn't get 100% on and he gets a lot of praise for things he did well on. I feel like its important for him to understand why he got counted off on something so he can know how to improve next time. This is usually really beneficial. Well one day we were going through his papers from the week and he was doing something else but we were still talking and he was listening. I don't remember exactly what I was saying but I was trying to help him understand what he did wrong on a certain paper. I am not hard on him at all but his sincere response kind of startled me. He said, "I'm just doing my best Mom." I felt so bad for a second because I didn't want him to think that I assumed he wasn't doing his best. Then I realized he was just explaining his grade to me. There are some times when he gets counted off on something and I show him and he actually thought that he did it right. There are a few times when he just wasn't listening to the instructions well or just didn't finish, kind of like he didn't care or didn't know. I do think he is doing his best and tries to be a good listener in class. I'm proud of him and how well he is doing. When Spencer and I went to Parent/Teacher Conference last week Miss Thompson gave us a certificate for Gorden for getting all A's & B's!! She showed us another couple of papers that were some standardized test scores and he had the highest in the class on a lot of it, and nothing on his tests were below GOOD. We're so glad he's doing well and enjoys school. He is doing his best and his best is always good enough!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Way to go Gorden. He always has been a little smarty. I remember that about him in primary. Usually he'd answer things with a "duh, everybody knows that" kind of tone:) so cute!