Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I just want everything in this world to be RED!

Gorden said that one day in the car when he was frustrated about seeing another yellow moving truck just like the one we moved here in. Adelaide gets really excited to see one and this day Gorden was just annoyed with it not being Red! ha!


Gorden and Adelaide have been hitting each other a lot for about two days. I don't know what's going on. They've been playing great together off and on, and when they're "off" they tend to hit a lot. Today Gorden hit Adelaide with his shield (he'd been sword fighting) and it hurt her. The kids rarely go to time out anymore because they know the rules and mostly they always keep them. So they've each had their turn there lately. Today when Gorden was sitting in time out I was talking to Adelaide. Then Gorden says from around the corner:

"I'll take the hitting sign down. So then we won't hit."

"You have a HITTING sign?" (I've never heard this one before!)

"Yes. Its pretend. Its yellow and gold and its hanging in my room. I'll go take it down. Can I get out of Time Out now?"

Yesterday I was helping Gorden write lower case letters and he was concentrating hard and doing well and then his pencil slipped on the second hump of the m. He blurts out, "Ugh! This is a horrible game! Can we be done now?!"


Today after I asked him to back up from the tv while he was playing the Wii, he says, "Why are you always saying to back up? Its so impressive."He usually surprises me and uses bigger words a lot and almost always in context. This time was funny.


"When you're eating a frog and dipping it in ketchup - YUCK. Barbeque sauce - YUCK. Dipping your frog in Ranch- now that is good."


Gorden likes to write his name a lot, and every time he draws he also writes BYU a few times. I think its cute. The other day on our way home from somewhere we drove through the Univ. of Arkansas campus as a shortcut and Gorden said, "This looks like Utah." We've lived, worked, played, and gone to church on a college campus for the past three years and that's home to him!


I wanted to update about each child separately because so much has gone on since I last regularly blogged so there is more to tell about each child. Gorden wasn't quite okay as Adelaide about moving across the country but he remained positive. Since we've been here, he talks about going back to Utah at least once a week. He really misses Utah and all of our friends. He is doing well though. His asthma took a huge turn for the better basically as soon as we got here. He had been having a lot of asthma attacks and was taking a steroid twice daily to try and prevent future attacks and to keep his airways open. He has only had two small attacks since we've been here!

When we arrived here we set up the kids room first so things could hopefully be familiar for them. Gorden loved having so much more space than we were used to, both inside and out. He spent lots of time outside throwing rocks in the gravel driveway, riding his tricycle down the hill, and playing on the swing set. He loves helping water the flowers or vegetables. For the past three summers we have gone swimming about 5 out of every 7 days to a pool right beside our house for FREE, so this summer was quite a huge change for us. I was going crazy without a pool. I think I woke up every day and all I wanted to do was go swimming. It was tough. So we played in the hose some. Gorden and Adelaide liked that. Twice we made a slip-n-slide out of a huge piece of plastic and I think they had a lot of fun.

We have been to the public library several times this summer. The first time we went was terrible and both kids left crying and I was so extremely disappointed. Our new library doesn't have our favorite series, a little turtle named Franklin. We didn't go back to the library for a while after that because the kids were so sad about it. We've since been a few times but still we haven't found hardly any of the same books we loved to regularly check out in Provo. We always got a few that were new to us but we had several favorite series that we just can't find here. I really don't like the system they've got set up here either. Its really hard to find anything if you're looking for a specific book. I should probably try a different city's library and see if its any better.

Gorden discovered paper airplanes. He thinks it so cool that his dad can fold up a piece of paper in a few seconds and then watch it soar across the room. He likes to play thumb war, and he's actually really good at it. He loves jumping on Grandma and Grandpa Gorden's trampoline and spends most of his time in their backyard when we are over there. He still loves to run and jump a lot and frequently refers to his tennis shoes as "go fasters" or "jump highers." One of my favorite things is when he tells me about his detailed dreams of treasure hunts or transformers. He goes on and on! He still is very into sword fighting and getting the bad guys. One day this summer we found out from the police that some men had broken out of prison and the cops had reason to believe they would be out where we live (one of the guys' mama lives out here) so they were warning us. So that morning I told the kids to not go outside to play without me that day. Just to let me know before they wanted to go out and we would all go together. They said okay. Shortly thereafter I was finishing up something and they wanted to go outside so I told them to wait a minute and I was almost done and I'd come with them. It was taking longer than Gorden wanted so he said to me that he was just going to go on out and he'd be back soon. I told him to wait for me and he said, "Mom, I've just gotta fight the bad guys. Then I'll be back in." So I told him, "Gorden, there are real bad guys out there today. The police men told Uncle Mark that two men broke out of jail and that they might be out here somewhere. The police men are trying to find them and we're supposed to be really careful and I don't want you to go outside by yourself today." His eyes are about to pop out of his head at this point. Then I told him, "Also, the bad guys stole some police shirts, so they might look like police men so we just have to be really careful." Then he leaned forward and his jaw just dropped to the floor with this look of OH MY GOODNESS! They STOLE a police shirt??!! He couldn't believe it that someone would do that!

Lately Gorden changes his clothes ALL THE TIME. Almost a dozen times a day. I'm not sure why, but one reason I've figured out is that he goes outside a lot, and when he comes in and is all sweaty he prefers to put on a fresh shirt, so he does. Another reason I suspect, is that he has a lot of favorite t-shirts these days and I think he just likes to wear them all. =)

He still refers to his wrist bands as "Super Powers" and wears them every day. We think its so cute and funny. He has such a big imagination and is always on some kind of adventure. He also loves to wear his CTR ring. It actually seems to be a real reminder to make good choices!

No comments: