Gorden talks a lot about super powers. He uses them every day and its a big part of his life right now. He also really likes to wear wrist bands. He has two red pair (his favorite color), one is wide (normal for an adult) and one pair is about half as wide. He wears them all the time everyday, except for the bath. Well and he doesn't wear them to church. Several Sundays I've noticed him wearing them under his suit but then he always decides to take them off before we walk out the door. He does wear them to school and to sleep though.
When Adelaide was a couple of days old, someone gave us a Winnie the Pooh Bear head with a pink blanket hanging from it. I wasn't sure what that was really for, but it was cute. Well to this day, Adelaide can not live without it. Its a big deal in her life and especially at bed time. Pooh Bear has to be situated next to her just right and she hugs it and talks to him and gives him lots of squeezes and love. He brings her a lot of comfort.
One night about a month ago when we realized we would be moving, we told the kids about it and all that moving entailed (packing up everything, getting a big truck, etc) and after we explained it all, the first thing Gorden said was, worriedly, "Can I take my Super Powers?"
I tried so hard not to laugh out loud because he was really concerned and I thought it was so cute that that was the only thing he was concerned about! We told him that of course he could take his super powers.
Well one day, a couple of weeks after this conversation, I finally realized that the wrist bands ARE the super powers!! Man it made so much more sense after I finally figured out what he really was talking about!
We have reassured both kids several times that we would take ALL of their toys and all of their things. One day a couple of weeks ago I was going through the toys in their room, throwing away anything that was broken, and sorting out things that they didn't play with at all anymore. I had a couple of buckets in front of me to organize the sorting. The kids were in and out of their room playing, and once they realized that things were going in different places they got kind of worried and asked again about what I was doing. I would hold something up from a bucket and show them that this panda was missing a leg, or this leopard's tail was broken, and ask if they still wanted to keep the broken ones or if they didn't care anymore. They didn't care because they were broken and because they have tons of little animals. (Just as I thought.) Then I would show them each of the things in the bucket of toys that they didn't play with anymore, and told them about how we could take them to a place where other kids could have them and play with them. They loved this idea of sharing and okayed every item that I had chosen and confirmed that they didn't play with those toys anymore anyway. So it was going well, and I felt like they understood what was going on. We were still taking every single item with us that they wanted to take.
Well Adelaide came up to me once during this whole process, and with a quivery voice and tears in her eyes she asked me, "Can I take Pooh Bear?"
I about cried as I hugged her and told her of course she could take Pooh Bear! I was so touched that she just had one simple request and seemed that nothing else even mattered.
15 comments:
Oh what sweet, adorable, darling kids you have!! I LOVE that Adelaide was so concerned about her Pooh Bear... what a total sweetheart! And what a mature little guy you have, the fact that Gorden takes off his "super powers" before he walks into the church... he's amazing!
That is so cute. I can't wait to see all you guys!
That's very cute! I loved reading your post!
I didn't know you guys were moving.... to Arkansas? Are you guys done with school? Well, we are gonna miss you!!!
I still can't believe you're moving. Ahh!
what a great little story! i wish you were moving to georgia!
aw, this was such an endearing post. I love your tender-hearted lil ones! I wish you were coming to Ohio so we could get to know them better! Not likely that I'll see ya'll even when we go back to visit in AR since we'd be in different stakes now. Crazy.
How sweet!
How funny! You should post about the man that had the wristbands on -that is funny:) Poor Adelaide-I'm glad that you are keeping pooh bear.
your kids are so sweet. When are you moving? Are you moving back to Arkansas? how are you doing?
Your kids say the cutest things. You should compile them together and publish a book!
Spencer, read this article. It has nothing to do with Kelly's post.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/opinion/27taylor.html
you have such cute kids. I can't wait until halle starts talking and saying cute things. Chris told me you guys are moving (sorry, I haven't followed anyone's blog in a while, so I didn't know). we are really going to miss you guys but wish you the best of luck!
awh. thats adorable.
awh. thats adorable.
Rose tagged Adelaide on our blog :)
Post a Comment