Sometimes when we sit down to eat dinner Spencer (or I if he's working that night) asks, "Who wants to say the prayer?" Well both kids want to say it every single time. Both kids. Every time. But Gorden always says "I do!" first. Always. Sometimes Adelaide is okay with Gorden saying the prayer because it seems like she realizes that he said it first. Other times she freaks out so we compromise with coming to an agreement about one of them getting to say that meal's prayer and the other one can say the next meal's prayer, or if its dinner time then the other one can say the family prayer before bed. Occasionally we just have two dinner prayers because trying to get a compromise results in screaming and that's a little ridiculous considering they're fighting about PRAYING. Sometimes I just have to laugh! So, whether or not there was an argument about whose turn it was, if anyone other than Adelaide is saying the prayer, even if she knows she gets to say it next time, she will echo their words. It is hilarious to me! I really have to try and not laugh because 1) it makes Gorden mad and 2) its a little irreverent. She isn't trying to be though. Her arms are folded, head is bowed, and eyes are closed, etc. She just really wants to say it! She says it like she's thinking of it herself, about a second or two behind the person who is speaking. She doesn't even wait for us to finish a phrase; she can start talking and hear us finishing at the same time. Its cute.
Lately she is doing very well praying by herself without help. She typically adds lots of pauses and thinks for several seconds between words or phrases about what to say next. Recently she adds this one little thing that is kind of cute....
Heavenly FatherThank Theeforfive
(and then she is so confused about what she's doing there is a very long pause and then she will giggle)
11 comments:
We have this exact same issue at our house!! Bryson loves to say it and Kylie gets SO mad if he tries to echo her! It is very hard not to laugh!! Hey at least they enjoy praying! Im enjoying it now cause it may be more of a struggle later on in life!! Hopefully not!
That is Too CUTE! I love that! You're getting me SO EXCITED to have prayer-saying-aged kids... that's such a joy i'm sure! Adelaide is such a sweetheart!
that is so cute, Kelly!!! your kids are cute!!
took me a second, but I GET IT! She is COUNTING!!! (four, five... makes perfect sense!) How cute.
so cute! i love that picture!
ryan always wants to "say" the prayer, but he won't ever really "say" it. he jsut sits there while we whisper into his ear. then when we say, "thank the for" he'll fill in the blank. that's about it, minus amen! She's a smarty pants! :)
Adelaide is such a doll! Is it bad that I want to be there to hear her prayers and prayer helping? I love stories about Gorden and Adelaide!
Hah! Kids crack me up! I find it hard sometimes to be reverent and serious when they are praying because they say the funniest stuff!
that's so funny!
i can see how the thee for could get confusing, its so close to
three... four... FIVE...
way cute!
you know, now that i think about it, I really love five, too.
golden rings wouldn't be the same without it.
We used to have multiple prayers at one meal. I still suggest it sometimes, but Gabriel doesn't buy it anymore.
Rachel says, "Dear Heavenly Father, Bless for this day." I really don't know what it means, but what do you do, critisize the child's prayer? I don't think so.
Kelly!!! I miss you! Yes, we do need to talk. When will you be back to Arkansas??? :) Maybe we'll still be in Oklahoma! It was so fun being neighbors. Adelaide and Gordon are so cute together and I can tell you must be having such a great time with them--you're such a good mom! Well, hopefully we'll talk soon!
Post a Comment