Sunday, February 15, 2009

I'm gonna be brave, Mom

brave - possessing or exhibiting courage or courageous endurance.


For Gorden
, being brave is a conscious decision. He has many opportunities to choose to be brave: going to preschool, riding the bus, going to the doctor, walking in the dark, crossing the street, (occasionally) talking to an adult, and speaking in church, to name a few. Lately these occasions are coming a lot more often.

Today Gorden had to give a talk in Primary. He usually does this once a month since there are only four kids. One week he gives the prayer, one week he reads a scripture, and one week he may not have an assignment. He usually doesn't mind saying the prayer, and he doesn't need help. He needs help reading a scripture because he can't read, but he likes to do this assignment because he loves to share stories about some awesome people in the scriptures that he likes, including Samuel the Lamanite, Abinadi, Ammon, Nephi.... he loves the stories where the Lord blesses them for standing up for what they believe in, and of course the ones where somebody has a sword/knife/bow and arrow/big stick, etc. Unfortunately though, Gorden totally takes after his mom as far as giving talks goes, and becomes a nervous wreck. On these days he cries most of the morning and delays getting dressed because he is fighting going to church the whole time. Some mornings are better/worse than others. If he is assigned to give a talk we usually start talking about it a few days before Sunday. The topic is always simple enough that he can think of his own personal experience to share so I feel like including him in preparing the talk is important. I don't know if he would get anything out of it (besides nervousness) if I did it all for him.

So today was no different. Sunday morning comes and his talk is prepared and whenever I remind him to get dressed he gets mad. I sat down with him and told him about how I get nervous every time I have to speak in church. Sometimes I get mad that I have an assignment like that too, and I also usually cry. I don't like to do it either. But I know that we all have to take turns and when there aren't many kids, his turn comes around pretty often. Its important to do what we are asked to do, because people are counting on us to do our part. So I told Gorden about how every time when I am so nervous and I do not want to do it, I pray. I told him to talk to Heavenly Father and tell him he is scared and nervous and ask Him to help. I told him he could ask Him to help him not be mad so that he will want to go to Primary today, and for help that he won't cry during his talk.

Gorden did. He got dressed in his suit and tie like he loves to do and picked out a book to read during sacrament meeting and put it in my bag and went outside to go down the stairs. During sacrament meeting I asked him if he wanted to practice his talk again before Primary, but he didn't. When it came time to go to Primary he willing went and walked right in happily and sat in his chair! Spencer and I were sitting in there and before it was his turn he looked at us confidently. When his turn came he did fine! He didn't cry and he actually spoke clearly (although pretty softly!) and was able to finish it all. He didn't turn into me and hide in my arm; he just faced his friends and stood up the whole time! I am so glad!

After church I told Gorden that he did a great job on his talk and he just said, "Thanks Mom." I asked him if he knew why he did a good job today, and he said because he wasn't mad. I asked him if he knew why he wasn't mad. He said "because I prayed and Heavenly Father helped me to not be nervous. I was brave Mom!" "Yes you were Gorden. You were really brave."

I am so glad that he recognizes where his strength comes from. I know he has prayed for help many times and help has always come. I am thankful that we have such a loving Heavenly Father who is so mindful of us and hears and answers our prayers.

For the past two months or so, we have been dealing with another medical issue with Gorden. Something seems to come up every several months with him, at least once a year. We have come to recognize this as normal for Gorden. Each time, Gorden is so tough. There are days when he is so brave and other days when he says he doesn't want to be brave. It breaks my heart whether he is nervous or not because of the things he has to endure at such a young age. Last week as I was carrying him down a long dark hospital hallway on the way to an elevator, he was crying and telling me he didn't want to do this today. In the past few weeks he has been to the doctor and the hospital (for tests) at least three or four times each. One day he was having blood drawn from his arm and they let me hold him on my lap. He was super nervous and really not in the mood to be there that day and was crying. I covered his eyes so he couldn't watch and he sat very still (and we both cried) the whole time. On the way to the car I told him he was so brave, and he said (through tears), "No I'm not Mom. I'm not brave today." I said, "Well you're tough." He just said, "Yeah, I'm tough."

I'm grateful that through everything he has to go through, at least I can be with him the whole time. Last week he was having an ultrasound and its not the first time I've had to lay his little body on a huge hospital bed, but he was trying so hard to be brave. He kept asking if it was going to hurt and I ensured him it wouldn't. He was kind of excited to maybe get to see his insides though. =) I have to say though, that all the many the nurses and doctors and assistants and lab technicians and everyone that we've come into contact with in the last four and a half years, with the exception of two insensitive dental assistants, everyone has treated my little boy so gently and compassionately and friendly, and for that I am really grateful. That is so reassuring and comforting to both the patient and the parent.

Gorden really is brave. Some days he doesn't want to have to be, but I know that he trusts his doctor and is mature enough to realize that the things that have to be done are out of necessity. I'm so proud of him. He has a lot of strength and courage. He is a good example to me. I love my little buddy.




This time we still do not have everything figured out, well mostly nothing figured out. The doctors have been diligent in trying to figure out what is going on but still don't know. We have such great doctors and nurses. Soon Gorden has an appointment with a nephrologist so we are hopeful that he can figure out the root of the problem.

18 comments:

The Nelsons said...

what a sweet boy. i had to sing in sacrament mtg today and i was SO nervous! i guess sometimes the things we have to do as adults aren't any easier than when we were kids. :) hope everything works out for him. i hate having my blood drawn, too. i feel for gorden!!

Whitney said...

Oh little G. You are so brave. I need to follow your example more often. Love you!

Jenny Brimhall said...

Good luck with everything! Know that you guys are in our prayers. Its no fun having lots of tests done and no results.

Melissa said...

What a cutie. . you are so blessed to have him in your family. You're doing such a great job as parents. Thought about you a lot today since I totally missed out in seeing you guys!

Dean, Andrea, Tanner, Landon, & Braddock said...

It's stories like this that make me totally miss the ward and your ADORABLE kids. I always looked forward to seeing Gorden every week at church. You guys are seriously great parents with some amazing kids. We miss you! Thanks for your examples.

Lindsay said...

Hey, Kelly! I'm going to be coming to Utah in March and would love to come by and visit! Email me with your phone # and we'll chat!

Lindsay said...

oops, forgot to leave my email....lindsayburnett78@yahoo.com

Ashlee said...

I heard you talking to him in the hallway before primary-he looked confident-Way to go Gorden!
I bet he was way more confident than me giving the RS lesson!
I had no idea about the testing. Gorden is in our prayers too! (Actually Ben prays for him every night:)

Charity Brown said...

This was such a sweet post! He really is a brave boy! What a sweetheart! I hope all goes well with the tests!

Becki R said...

Thanks for sharing this sweet story. I don´t know if I am just emotional right now anyway, but I did cry with you and Gorden. I hope that everything turns out fine--and he is a BRAVE little guy!

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your post, Kelly. I loved how openly you share your teaching methods. I think you are a wonderful example of a mother. I also love hearing the faith of your children. It is very inspiring and helps to boost my faith also. I hope you find out soon what is going on. Keep us posted!

Laura said...

He is such a joy in primary. I love that little guy!

Jodie said...

I loved hearing about how brave he was after praying for help! What good parents you are!!
I'm sorry that cute little boy has to be tough & brave so often with the doctors. It made me cry to read that! Keep up the good work.

liso. said...

oh, this was such a sweet entry. i hope everything works out for you and this little guy. thinking of you...

Katy said...

Oh Kelly, you made me tear up pretty badly... this was a wonderfully heartfelt post and though i've never met little Gorden yet, I just love him and his sweet personality!

you are a terrific mom and i'm so impressed and proud to know you! praying for you and your family

The Gracie Jones blog said...

Poor little guy, I didn't realize he had so many health problems. If you guys ever need anything let me know! And I did notice he seemed a lot more brave giving his talk this last week. He did great!

Celeste said...

Kelly, that post about Gorden being brave made me cry! What a sweet kid. I didn't realize all that was going on with his health, but I'm glad to know because we'll definitely pray for him!

Mary said...

So, I read this post a long time ago and I didn't have time then to make a comment. But, since I've read this, I have done so much thinking about this story. I just think it is so amazing how you are raising your little guy - I think you are doing such an amazing job. The best part is how you have him help prepare his own talk even though he is so young - you will be so glad for all that when he is older! You are so inspiring to me!! And by the way, every time you leave a comment on my blog, it totally makes my day. You are the best! I really do wish you were my next door neighbor. :)