In July I took Adelaide to the doctor for some kind of well-child check up and possibly some shots. Its been a while and I can't remember exactly. I do remember though that the doctor said that she could now have the chewable multivitamin with fluoride instead of just the fluoride drops. (Utah county doesn't have fluoride in the water so we have to give it to the kids until they are big enough to use toothpaste with flouride, which Adelaide doesn't yet b/c she still swallows instead of spits.) He called in the prescription to our pharmacy instead of handing me piece of paper. He also called in a new multivitamin prescription for Gorden because somehow the bottle we were using had turned all gunky and weird and I had quit giving him his. Well I forgot to go to the pharmacy and pick up the prescriptions. I totally should have taken the piece of paper instead of him calling it in. That was a nice gesture though.
So today, more than three months later, I called the pharmacy to see if our prescriptions were still there and they weren't. So I called the doctor and they called them in again. We went this afternoon to go pick them up. They had Adelaide's but not Gorden's because the doctor ordered .5 mg tablets and the manufacturer didn't make them that size, just .25mg (adelaide's) or 1 mg. First let me say that Gorden frequently asks to take his vitamins. He loves to! (You'd think I would've thought to call the doctor before now!) Well Gorden heard the man at the pharmacy telling me this and had a complete meltdown in Rite Aid because he wanted his vitamins. I told him we could get them tomorrow after we called the doctor again and that totally wasn't good enough. He absolutely didn't want one of Adelaide's for today because he wanted his own. He was also ticked about the doctor having gone home for the day (it was dinner time, hence the real reason for the meltdown probably) and not being at his office still so we could call him NOW.
Anyway, so we get to the car and after I buckle Adelaide in her car seat I opened the bottle of "Adelaide's" multivitamin and gave them each one. Then she is holding the bottle while I buckle in Gorden and then get in the car myself. We're driving to BYU to get Spencer and Gorden is crying the whole way because he wants another one. I repeatedly tell him he can't and all the reasons why, including 1 per day is what the doctor said and about how he'll get a stomach ache if he has too much flouride in his body. So he's still mad, then we're almost to BYU and I hear him just bust out laughing and Adelaide just giggles and giggles. When I got to a red light I looked back and she had a mouth full of vitamins and the CHILD PROOF lid was in her lap. Genius child. I was amazed. Of course she would only hand me the lid and nothing from her mouth and chewed everything up as fast as she could. From what I could briefly see she had five in her mouth, and I'd already given her one back at the Ride Aid parking lot. I guess she's making up for all that lost time since July.
I'm not sure how many is too many as far as being unsafe and what is an overdose of that stuff, but at 10pm she was still Literally doing somersaults in her crib and laughing her head off at anything and everything. She kept asking for more drinks of water (probably can't have too much of that at this point, or ever really). Every time I told her to lay down she'd say "jump" and go at it. Apparently she has endless amounts of energy tonight. I wonder how long this will last. I just went in at 11:30 and she was sitting up awake in there. Gorden told me before he went to bed that his tummy hurt. I think she gave him a handful in the car too. Sneaky kids. I can't believe she broke through the child proof cap.
6 comments:
that's really funny! I love that Gordon stopped crying and started giggling because of Adelaide!
oh that's hilarious! What a little Miss Smartie Pants!
HA! Those kids! I use to be like that too. I could open anything kid proof even when my parents couldn't open it. It makes for some creative babyproofing.
What a cutey! Hopefully she calms down before Friday night:)
That is a great story. It reminds me of something I did in my youth. Man those Flintstone Vitamins tasted good. I just decided to climb on the counter and get them out of the cupboard and proceeded to eat almost the whole bottle. I do believe that I was taken to the doctor. But I guess I turned out OK. Or maybe that is what the problem is.
My girlies have done the same thing - they live!
BTW - When I was pregnant, I was having pregnancy insomnia. I learned that it was the timing I was taking my multivitamin that was keeping me up all night ... I guess for some of us those vitamins really give us a kick!
Post a Comment