1. I think the Democratic party might have had the upper hand going into the election year, but it seems fates have changed. Bush's approval was down and there were many in the middle of the political spectrum who were leaning left. The middle, however, is familiar ground for John McCain. Like it or not most conservatives will vote for McCain. Though they cringe as they cast their ballot it will be better for them to cringe than to vomit, and the conservatives I know would puke if they found themselves voting for Hillary or Obama. Also, McCain gets the nod already and has extra time to start campaigning against the other side of the aisle while they also tear each other apart. It seems to set up nicely for the Republicans.
2. I think the Big Cactus experiment is NOT paying off, and I'm starting to think that it never will. I originally thought that if someone could make it work it would be Steve Nash. Alas, I fear I was wrong.
3. I think there can't be a single human being more prepared to lead the church in the consecrating preparatory years leading up to the Second Coming of Christ than Thomas S. Monson. He's a man that has consecrated his entire life. He has ministered to individuals and administered relief to countries (most notably East Germany). He has visited widows and workers, the dying and the desperate, the hungry, tired, and sick. He can see the needs of others and fill them in highly personal ways, what more Christlike quality can a man have than that. Elder Maxwell once said that "The best way to valiantly testify of Jesus is to become steadily more like Him" (Gen. Conf. April 02). With that being the case, there is, perhaps, no better living testimony of Jesus than Thomas S. Monson.
4. I think that the NFL Draft is becoming one of my favorite sporting events. It is certainly the most compelling sports-related event without a ball (yes I include NASCAR in this). In an increasingly year-round league, the Draft is a bright ray of hope for downtrodden teams, and gives me the same feelings as Spring football practice in the SEC.
5. I think the next American Idol will be Syesha, Brooke, or Kristy Lee. The guys might be more talented but the girls win when it's a push, and it's pretty close.
6. I think one of the best talks I've heard lately was a BYU devotional given March 2, 1999 by Jeffrey R. Holland called "Cast Not Away Thy Confidence." Wonderful discourse!
7. I think that the people at ESPN must think they need a screamer for every sport. For Football they have Chris Berman, for college basketball they have Dick Vitale, for the NBA they have Stephen A. Smith. If anyone could get excited enough about baseball to scream I'm sure they would have found him by now and I've only met one loud Canadian in my life (sorry Noelle) so that's why they don't have one for hockey (Canadians are the only ones who pay any attention to hockey).
8. I think Microsoft's new "Surface" is so amazing. Go to www.microsoft.com/surface and watch the three videos. You'll see what I mean.
9. I think that UNC vs. Duke might be as big a rivalry in basketball as Auburn vs. Alabama is in football.
10. I think the song I like most lately is "Love Song" by Sara Bareilles.
2 comments:
yeah, i know i'm from ACC country, so i'm biased. but i can't imagine a bigger rivalry than unc/duke. especially when you consider all the fuss is about 10 guys on a relatively small wooden floor.
though i do have to give it to byu/utah for the sheer irrational hatred they have for each other. it's bizarre and decidedly uncomfortable.
Post a Comment