Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Are you Pregnant?
Honestly, no one should ever ask this question. I thought everybody knew that. Doesn't everybody know that?! Hasn't everyone heard someone else's horrifying experience of accidentally assuming a lady is expecting, commenting on it, and being wrong? Its embarrassing for everyone that is present. Today I was asked that by a guy. I think its better to be asked by a guy than a girl because seriously, girls should for sure know better than to ask another girl that. I have been asked (or talked to assumingly) by a girl on more than one occasion. I honestly have to assume they were born yesterday. (Not because I don't look too skinny to be pregnant, but because I think she has no manners.) Today, this guy, didn't actually say the words, he says "Are you..." (then he motions his hand in a pregnant belly motion.) I think that may be more obvious that you are fat than if someone just said the words, because of course if they're using hand gestures they're drawing a full grown belly, you know. If I were asked in words I could feel like I just maybe looked barely pregnant, and they just weren't sure. Either way, it should never happen. If you think somebody may be pregnant but you aren't sure, do not ask that actual person! Just get your patience out and wait, or ask someone else if you can't handle not knowing. Really.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
After I delivered Allison and Michelle, I was walking around trying to recover post-natal. When I walked by the nurses station, they said "you can do it, keep going" like I was in labor and walking around as part of labor. It was really weird to say "I'm not pregnant" to a big group of people cheering me on ... but yeah, people should NEVER assume ...
oh that is just mean, nobody should ever ask if you're pregnant, I hate that question! There was a gal in my ward a few years ago and she started looking pregnant to me for a while but I didn't want to be rude and say anything, but then I found out a week later that she was pregnant.... like 7 months pregnant! LOL guess I'm extra careful
Here's my story: I was taking a walk a little while after having Dash and ran into one of my friends. Pretty sure she asked, "Are you sure you weren't having twins?" Wow...
Some one asked me in Gymboree when I was due. HELLO- do I even have a tummy? (and I was wearing a tight shirt) I think she was just excited about her own pregnancy and thought everyone who goes into Gymboree must be pregnant! So I'm super sensitive about it. I called Elodie and asked her if Ashlee Krebs was pregnant (she was like 8 mon) but I didn't want to say anything unless I was sure. Some people are so rude!
Are you kidding me? You should have responded, "No, Mam, I'm not."
I was going to send you an email and reply to your comment on my blog ... but then I realized I don't think I have your email. So ... I don't know how to reply. My email is mary@johansonfamily.com :)
Kelli- You don't even look pregnant. What an idiot. I look A LOT more pregnant now, (because I am,) but everyone is commenting on how huge I've gotten. I think even pregnant women could pass on being told they look like a fat cow.;) It doesn't really bother me, just when people are overly enthusiastic about my weight gain.;) But, amen sister. You need to teach him some of your Southern Manners.
I totally agree, you should never ask someone if they are pregnant! I have gotten asked that a few times and also told that I looked pregnant a few times, last time was just last Saturday. I think it's funny and I usually feel more embarrassed for the person who asks than I do about looking pregnant.
what a jerk!
you should have said
"you know what they say about when you assume. you make an... uhmm actually just glare at them then walk away.
Post a Comment