Saturday, December 15, 2007

I'm sure you think about it too!!!

So, I'm not sure why but ever since i was like 14 years old I've thought of names for my future children. I've thought about it for a long time and the names i like have changed a lot over the years. Kelly and i have talked about baby names since we were teenagers, long before we ever talked about marriage. It's something we've shared fairly intimately to this point and no doubt we'll continue to mull things over and change our minds. We understand that it's eventually our decision to make and there's not a whole lot anyone can do about that. Names have always been important to me. I love to find names i like that carry meaning or could inspire my children to be better. I was named for Spencer W. Kimball and the more i learn about that man the more i want to live up to my name. I thought it would be fun to make a poll of some of MY favorites (not necessarily Kelly's). You'll find it at the top of the page. Each of the boys' names on the list has meaning to me. Cannon Kimball for George Q. Cannon and Spencer W. Kimball, Daschel David for David Bednar (and Dash from The Incredibles), Greyson Charles for an amazing mission buddy who was killed in a tragic car accident (and Charles is my middle name), and Vanden Jakob as a tribute to my Grandfather Alfred VanDerhoof. He was a war hero. He died shortly after the Korean War when wounds he received never healed properly. If i could ever convince Kelly on this one I'd almost hope people call him Van because that was my Grandpa's nickname in the Army. Have fun with the poll, comment too if you like but please keep negative comments to yourself because it may end up being the name of a real person. So before i change my name here's ten things i think i think.....

  1. I think Kelly's post from yesterday is perhaps the funniest post ever on our blog. If you haven't read it take the time now.
  2. I think in retrospect the Mitchell Report was a dumb idea...No subpoena power + nobody willing to talk = worthless.
  3. I think my favorite Christmas song is still Hootie and the Blowfish's version of 'The Christmas Song' although Faith Hill's 'Where Are You Christmas?' comes in a close second.
  4. I think going home for Christmas can't come fast enough. I seriously haven't been this excited about Christmas in years.
  5. I think Mitt might have a chance, but there's no way Huckabee's beating ANY of the Dems this election. Too conservative, too much like Bush_ there's no way he can sway moderates of either party. He's a former preacher for Pete's sake!
  6. I think the fact that the media HATES Petrino might be a good indicator that he's a solid Head Coach. oh yeah, that and his 41-9 record at Lousville.
  7. I think i might enjoy hunting... I never have before but i love the outdoors, dressing in camo is always fun, and there's a part of me that just wants to gut an animal. We have these Mule deer that hang out behind our house and sometimes i have to fight this primal urge to club them over the head and drag them to my cave while grunting and making exaggerated hand gestures. Stop me if you ever see me going out back with my baseball bat.
  8. I think 'A Beautiful Mind' is becoming my favorite movie of all time. It just gets better and better.
  9. I think finals stink!
  10. I think that Adelaide can't possibly be turning one this Friday! that's crazy, where'd the time go (and all those other time clichés).

PS. Comments are now open to anyone, you don't have to sign in anymore (for those of you who don't have a Google account) so keep 'em clean or I'll delete 'em.

*Also, Kelly's NOT pregnant, i just really like names. When/if Kelly does get pregnant again we probably won't share anything with anyone because we want that to be between just us.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

About #4: While I know more than anyone that you are super duper excited about going to Arkansas for Christmas, I just want to remind you that last year may have been the most exciting because you got a new baby girl for Christmas! Surely this year's going to AR doesn't out excite you for last years precious bundle Adelaide! =)

About #7: I just want to tell everyone that you're not joking. Spencer talks about this all the time. For some reason we have some kind of obsession with the deer in the backyard in our family. We just stand and stare at them when they're out back hanging out. This probably doesn't help his primal urges at all.

Jeff said...

Spencer, I think that I would have to say avoid Van. If you have ever seen the show Reba you would understand why. I am just joking though, whatever you decide would be great. Also, about the deer, I know exactly what you are talking about. Whit and I watch them all the time. You can look at Whit's blog for pictures of our "friends" in the back yard. I just can't but help thinking to myself, "If only I had a gun, and could shoot it within city limits, I would have me some tasty venison tonight!"