Friday, October 10, 2008
I Can't Believe He's Turning Four
I've always been okay with my kids growing up...until now. My little boy, the one who was the size of my hand at birth, the one who has already spent more time in the hospital than both his parents combined, is turning four on Sunday. I can't tell you how many times in the past week and a half that i've thought of this and teared up or even cried. You see, not only are Gorden's birth and survival a miracle, i feel his life has been a miracle too. For those that have been around Gorden you might understand part of how special he is, but as a parent it has been my privilege to watch Gorden grow and learn and develop. What Gorden lacks in size he's always made up for with heart. That sounds cliché but in his case there's no other way to put it. He shows so much emotion. He loves and cares deeply. He hugs tightly. He cheers and cries and laughs hard. Maybe this is why people seem drawn to him. Children feel comfortable around him, adults seem in awe of him at times, and nobody dislikes him. I love every little quirk about him. He makes me happy. He makes it easy to be his parent because he is the most obedient child i've ever been around. Since he could move and explore his world all you had to do was tell him once not to touch something and he'd never go back to it. We didn't even know that our house wasn't baby-proof until Adelaide came along because Gorden was so good about leaving dangerous or fragile things alone and playing with just toys. Perhaps the most amazing thing about Gorden is his uncanny reverence for sacred things. Since day one he has been quite during prayers. He is good at church and loves to go. He says his own prayers and would pray as soon as he could talk. He knows he is a child of God. He knows Jesus is the Savior. He has such a strong spirit. That might be the first thing i noticed about him. When i met Gorden for the first time in the NICU, I could feel his spirit from across the room. It was like being in the same room as an Apostle. If you're quiet, it can almost overwhelm you. His spirit seems as strong now as it did then, and there's something about being around him that makes people happy. I can't imagine the trials that await any child his age, but i'm sure that Gorden will be able to weather those trials. He has already been through so much and it is natural for him to call on God to bless his family. He has already started to feel the Spirit. i know he'll be a massive force for good in the world. I know he'll be fine as he grows up. I just wish he wouldn't yet. He's so cute, and i love him just the way he is, and i wish i could keep him from the pains and evils of this world. And while i learned quite abruptly this week that i cannot keep him from the pains, i know he and Heavenly Father will keep him from the evils. Knowing how good he is naturally, gives me peace. Knowing that God will still send good people like Gorden to this darkening world gives me hope. He is so good. He is a beacon of hope in this world that's decaying in sin. I love Gorden so much. I'm so grateful to know him and completely awestruck that i get to be his Dad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
You know, until the end, I thought Kelly was writing this. I love to read Dad's thoughts on their kids! I can't believe he's turning 4 either; that means Zach's only a few months away. You guys really did go through so much with him in the beginning, & it's really inspiring to see/hear how amazing it's all turning out!
Gorden sure is a special kid. It makes my day when he comes up and says "Sister Bird!" Thanks for sharing his sweet spirit with all of us. You two are great parents!
those are beautiful thoughts. I wish I could meet him!
Yep, i thought kelly was writing this at first, so now we know where Gorden gets his sensitivity from :) He's got some GREAT parents.
I agree, It's so wonderful reading a Father's Thoughts- since I KNOW the love of a mother, it's refreshing to hear a Dad being so candid and heartfelt-- it was very sweet and I sort of teared up a little!
I haven't met Gorden yet, but I feel like I have. He's wonderful and amazing because his parents are on such a high caliber!! Happy Birthday, Gorden- you're loved by SO MANY!
I seriously wish every kid could be like him. Gorden special personality and spirit are what it means to "become as a little child" he really is as near to perfect as they come! I LOVE that kid!
Very sweet. I am just glad I was alone when I read this so Joe wouldnt wonder why I was getting all teary looking at someones blog. I can't wait to meet him this Sat. I hope Kelly is bringing him...
That was such a sweet post!
Spencer, this was a beautiful post. I am so happy you wrote down your thoughts and feelings about your sweet little boy. He will love reading this one day. I wish we lived closer so our kiddos could play together.
We love Gorden. Do you remember when he cried when we left Utah? He may only be turning 4, but he's mature well beyond a 4 year old!
Happy Early Birthday Gorden!
I knew all along Spencer was writing this, because he's the man! Gorden is the man too! That kid is awesome. Glad he has Greg and Scott to play with when he comes over!
What neat thoughts by a Daddy!
Sorry we missed the party (we were in Idaho)--happy birthday, Gorden!!
Come visit our blog to add a widget to YOUR blog supporting Proposition 8! Or visit www.preservingmarriage.org
This is a church web page.
That was the sweetest thing to hear about Gorden!! Cool that Spencer wrote it. You guys are such a neat family. :)
I can't believe Gorden is four! It sounds so crazy especially remembering when he was born. He is such a cute kid. I wish we still lived close by each other. Good luck w/school though Spencer.
Post a Comment