This is nobel prize material, furthermore it may eventually allow thousands (possibly millions) of people suffering from Macular Degeneration and Diabetic Retinopathy to maintain, or in some cases even regain their proper visual capacity. Below are portions of the article. Here you can find the entire article and a short video.
An amazing experiment at the University of Utah has successfully prevented, even reversed, two major eye diseases that can lead to blindness. Dr. Randall Olson, who heads up the university's Moran Eye Center, calls the findings "historic."
Researchers successfully activated a protein in mice that both prevented and reversed age-related macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy. This protein called robo4, when triggered, reversed abnormal growth of blood vessels in the eye. It also stabilized the vessels to prevent leakage. These are the major villains in the two eye diseases.
Results of the mouse models look so good right now, human clinical trials are sure to follow. Those trials could begin within five years. Injections at first, but researchers eventually might be able to get protein molecules small enough to be administered via eye drops.
Beyond macular degeneration and retinopathy, robo4 might even have applications in treating SARS or pulmonary edema, in which blood leaks into the lung's airway spaces.
3 comments:
Pretty sweet info~ I had diabetic retinopathy during my last pregnancy (it went away after I had Vance). Hooray for science and all the brilliant people behind it!!!
Kelly-The jumparoo actually comes with a stand of its own, so we don't hang it in a doorway...it is really neat. If you ever want to get one, every one I have talked to said their children loved it. It is called a rainforest jumparoo. :) It is the only new thing we have pretty much ever bought and we got it on sale. Otherwise they run about $80. It took a lot of convincing on my part to Jeff but I won and I am so happy cuz he loves it!
I just found your blog and it is so cute, I love all the pictures!
Post a Comment